Thursday, April 3, 2014

Crockpot Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers


Last weekend, I wore MC Hammer pants.  I will vouch (for myself) that I never thought I'd see the day that happened.  But my group workout class had a 90's theme!  Of course I had to buy the drop-crotch pants to match.  I would say "ugh" right about now because I'm over myself, but since wearing them this past weekend, I've developed a fondness for those pants.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to wear them in public.  As in, it won't be a part of a costume.  Thankfully they're black and not some fugly patterned mess.  So there's that silver lining, right?  Someone out there is understanding my thoughts.  I'm sure of it.


Here's something that easier to understand: the amazing-ness of making Mexican stuffed peppers in a crockpot.  I've made stuffed peppers once before but I refused to revisit it again because it was such a chore to make those at the time.  Fast forward to today, hand me a crockpot, and I'm back in business!


Lately, I've been obsessed with Mexican food.  This should not be a surprise, because cheese is my kryptonite.  I would like to make it known that I can eat Mexican food at any time.  If there is a Mexican food throwdown, I'm there.  Needless to say, you may be seeing a few Mexican-inspired recipes from me in the near future.  I have to say that these pepper turned out to be mighty tasty.  The combination of the meat, rice, vegetables, and sauce made this an excellent dinner option for me the other night.

And cheese. And sour cream.  They just get me.


Crockpot Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
slightly adapted from Number 2 Pencil
makes 4 servings


  • 4 bell peppers
  • 1lb 85% lean ground beef
  • 1/2 of a yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup canned enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup shredded jack cheese
  • 3/4 cup cooked Mexican rice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • sour cream and diced green onion for topping (optional)

1) Combine the enchilada sauce and onions into a heat-proof bowl.  Heat the mixture in the microwave for about 5 minutes to soften the onions.

2) Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove stems and seeds and dice the tops of the peppers.

3) Pour 1/3 cup of water into the bottom of the crock pot and fit all 4 bell peppers inside.
 
4) In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, onion/enchilada sauce mixture, diced bell peppers, 1 cup cheese, rice, salt and pepper.

5) Fill the bell peppers with the ground beef mixture and top with the remaining cheese.

6) Cook on low for about 6 hours. You can test mixture with a meat thermometer for doneness. It should be cooked to 160 degrees.

Note: You must use cooked rice. You could also use cooked white or brown rice. Just add some seasonings so the rice isn't bland. Try using chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, or chipotle in adobo.  You can mix and match as you like.

1 comment:

  1. Looks soo good. Never thought about adding enchilada sauce. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete