Saturday, April 26, 2014

Oven-Roasted Asparagus


You guyssss...

I have to tell you about the NYC Cat Cafe.  I just heard about it and it's going on right now!  Clearly I'm going because I love cats and coffee.  So why can't I have it all?  I can.  I'm going to sit in there all day and survive on coffee and pre-packaged snacks forever and ever.

OK, I can't do that.  I do need to step up my game in the dietary department, though.  I've been eating Tostitos tortilla chips, brie cheese, and almonds like it's my job.  So here's my attempt at pulling my life together.

We're finally getting some warmer weather in these Northeastern parts, so we must celebrate with asparagus.  And cheese.  You know this.  Tender, fresh asparagus is tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and then roasted until it's perfect.  Top with freshly grated Parmesan and you've got yourself a wonderful side dish, or a questionable (but healthy!) lunch.  Your choice.


Oven-Roasted Asparagus
slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman
makes ~4 servings


  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 4-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt, to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • parmesan cheese, to taste

1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2) Stack the asparagus together and trim the tough bottom ends about 1-inch.

3) Wash the asparagus, then pat them dry as much as possible so they don't steam in the oven.

4) Place the asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.

5) Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus, making sure to rub it all over the vegetables.

6) Sprinkle the asparagus with the salt and pepper.  You can be more generous with the pepper than the salt, since cheese will be added later.

7) Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes.  Remove the asparagus when tender.

8) Remove the asparagus from the oven and immediately top with a generous serving of grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment