Friday, April 18, 2014

Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken


Last week, my trip to Pittsburgh primarily revolved around Mad Mex margarita-drinking festivities.  Mad Mex was always a favorite place to visit when I was in college.  Unfortunately, I would sometimes (um...almost always?) end up a tad too inebriated as a result of drinking one to one-and-a-half Big Azz margaritas.  Those were the days.  The only thing I don't miss are the hangovers.

Of course, no visit to the 'burgh is complete without at least attempting to drink yet another Big Azz marg at Mad Mex.  Since it's a pretty small location and can become packed quickly, my friends and I had several discussions regarding the optimal time to go there.  (PS - We discovered the best time to visit, but I'm not divulging!)  And we drank margaritas.  Two each...

Now, in our "heyday", we would have been completely done for the day.  We would have stumbled home and passed out.  But.  We were not.  We had excellent appetizers and entrees and we drank our margaritas like the adults that we are and headed back to our hotel.  Like a boss!

OK, maybe we did fall asleep pretty early that night.  But it was a conscious decision on our part.  For sure.

In the spirit of eating even more quality Mexican food, I have an easy salsa verde chicken recipe for you.  Bust out those crockpots once again.  Let me assure you that this is a quick, easy, and tasty way to ensure you have some delicious protein on hand.  This time, I decided use the chicken in a burrito, but in a future blog post, I will be showing you another way that I decided to indulge in this mouth-watering chicken.


Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
makes 4-6 servings


  • 12 ounces salsa verde (store-bought or homemade)
  • 4 ounces canned green chiles
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
  • tortillas

1) In a crockpot, combine the salsa, green chiles, and chicken stock.

2) Nestle the chicken breasts in the mixture, making sure they are fully submerged.

3) Cook the chicken on High for 4 hours, or on Low for 8 hours.

4) Once cooked through, shred the chicken using two forks.  Make sure the shredded pieces are coated with the sauce.

5) Allow the chicken to sit in the crockpot on Warm while you prepare the toppings to serve with it.

6) Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment